As a mother of three daughter's I am always striving to instill in them good character. I often find myself wondering how I would grade in my efforts in doing so. I am guilty of seeing something developing in one and not the other, and concluding that the child not developing in the same area simply falls short. God has recently reminded me that we are all uniquely and wonderfully made. And just because of one's strength, another is not necessarily weak. I have especially been praying lately that Kennedi would have more of a desire to be involved in the kitchen, not just because I want her to know how to cook, but also to display her servants heart and step up to helping her mother where mom needs her the most at this time. In the past she has shown very little interest in this area. And as much as I hate to put my children in front of the TV, it has been the TV that has stirred something in her heart. She and Kaylee (and Courtney too) have become fans of The Food Network. Yesterday, Kennedi finally displayed interest in being in the kitchen, she started by wanting to chop vegetables like Rachel Ray. Later, she decided to make our cornbread for our evening meal (it was wonderful!). And she even took the initiative to set our dinner table and serve us and our dinner guest last night. It was so encouraging to me as a mom to see her stretching in this area. Then this morning I was reading my choice book for the time being...Charlotte Mason Companion. The chapter I'm reading is called, "The Way of the Will," and it reads: "We who teach should make it clear to ourselves that our aim in education is less good conduct than good character. We may mold good conduct in our children, but it is of value to the world only when it has its source in character. To have strong, virtuous character, we need a strong, vigorous will." Not that setting the table or making bread says that one has good character. But the motivation behind her doing it was to please and honor her mother. She is developing into a young lady who desires to display her heart through her actions. I am blessed to have her as my daughter and it's wonderful to see her transitioning from childhood to a young lady.
Shelley's Avon Site
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you! It gives me hope that my little girl will some day want to "help out"! Love and Miss you all!
Post a Comment