Shelley's Avon Site
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
"By the Grace of God I am What I am!"
If You Are Not As Wicked As Others
.fullpost{display:inline;}
"By the grace of God I am what I am!" 1 Corin. 15:10Whatever evil you behold in other men's practices, realizethat you have the same evil in your own nature.There is the seed of all sins, of the vilest and worst ofsins--in the best of men. When you see a drunkard--youmay see the seed of that sin in your own nature. Whenyou see an immoral man--you may see the seeds ofimmorality in your own nature. If you are not aswicked as others--it is not because of the goodnessof your nature--but from the riches of God's grace!Remember this--there is not a worse nature in hellthan that which is in you, and it would manifest itselfaccordingly--if the Lord did not restrain it!There was one who was a long time tempted to threehorrid sins: to be drunk, to lie with his mother, and tomurder his father. Being a long time followed withthese horrid temptations, at last he thought to getrid of them, by yielding to what he judged the least,and that was to be drunk; but when he was drunk, hedid both lie with his mother and murdered his father.Why, such a hellish nature is in every soul that breathes!And did God leave men to act according to their natures,all men would be incarnate devils, and this world a totalhell. In your nature you have that that would lead you . . .with the Pharisees--to oppose Christ;and with Judas--to betray Christ;and with Pilate--to condemn Christ;and with the soldiers--to crucify Christ.Oh, what a monster, what a devil you would be--shouldGod but leave you to act suitable to that sinful and woefulnature of yours!"By the grace of God I am what I am!" 1 Corin. 15:10- By Thomas Brooks, 1608-1680
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment